Tuesday, February 27, 2007

You say goodbye...

And i say goodbye as well. This will be my final post from West By God, so it means the end of fun pictures (unless i happen upon a digital camera sometime between now and tomorrow morning), and the beginning of long text-filled posts about how much i miss home/how busy i am and can't post much. at least that's what i expect. who knows, in a few months my writing may be reduced to ruminations on existentialist philosophy. i just hope that this doesn't turn into a series of diatribes about how great i am and what wonderful things i am doing. this includes phrases such as "can't believe how humbling this is" and "puts into perspective" and "am probably the greatest person ever to walk the planet". I know how easy it is to get on a soapbox, so if that ever happens, please send me a torrent of hate mail.

The last couple of weeks have been my farewell tour. I started in Chicago, where the boys and I had one last weekend together. If Matt ever figures out how to use his camera i'll post the pictures here.

Friday night we went to a house party, filled with the typical rock-star atmosphere that tends to follow us around. There was a soul train, the worm, and an exciting limbo contest in which patrick decided to participate during every round despite the fact that he failed in each of the previous ones. Later that night there was chicago's pizza, a dislocated shoulder (sorry again), and an excruciating conversation about something.

Saturday night was pretty much all me. We went to my favorite places (Ginger's, The Map Room, and now The Old Towne Ale House). Here are a few completely uncensored pictures from that evening of wholesome fun:


From rishi
Yes I know, it's like the rat pack has returned.
left to right: Rishi, Patrick, Vik, Matt



From rishi
A very disorienting picture. I'm glad I knew where I was going.
pictured: Me (pointing), Kremer (w/ ketchup)


From rishi
The two amigos


From rishi
Mike, Vik, and I, keeping it real


Good times.

We ended up at Clarke's (where they DO pay their waitresses) as was befitting, and i had the lion's share of a baked apple pancake.

Sunday night we all went out for dinner, which was also when the goodbyes happened. I said goodbye to everyone that night, and to matt the next morning before driving back home. On the drive home i finally started to realize that i was leaving a lot behind, and i hope that those of you reading this who know me know that i will miss you all more than my jovial stoicism allows me to show in person.

So, i came home, hung out for a day, and on wednesday it was off to boston to see Sheila, my sister. Once again, no pictures, so you'll have to just believe me that it happened. I got to see fenway, i ate veal, and enjoyed the glamorous night life of beantown. i also got to meet a lot of my sister's friends, who were all very cool. the sam adams brewery was very educational, and i actually met up with one of the other Rishis of southern west virginia (there are three of us total). Finally, i said goodbye to sheila as well, and barely made it onto my plane in time.

Sunday night was the oscars, and i took my exhausted self to zach's to watch. of course, everyone i wanted to win won, since it is my year. i obnoxiously took all of the credit for scorcese's victory, but i feel like i deserve it.

So, here i am, my final hours at home. I've been doing laundry, ripping CDs, and sending out e-mails. my family and i are going out for lunch in a little bit, and tonight i'm going to go out to dinner with zach, odessa and brian.

I've also been working hard on my top 10 list. i have it down to 13 albums. 8 of them are locked in, so it's a battle between 5 for the last two spots. i realize that my list is pretty much meaningless, and i'm going to forget it as soon as i'm done with its assembly, but let me have my pleasures. I'll post it when it's finished, so perhaps this won't be my last post after all.

I leave for philadelphia tomorrow morning (feb 28) with my parents. we're going to hang out in philly til the morning of the 2nd, when i will enjoy my birthday anonymously. on the 2nd and 3rd, i'll be in staging which is like a freshmen orientation for the peace corps, except not on the site. we'll be getting shots and attending seminars and getting to know one another. on the morning of the 4th i will be leaving for uganda, and that'll be that. For those of you wonderful people who want my address in order to send me letters, cds, or care packages, for the first ten weeks you can send them to:

Rishi Desai PCT
P.O. Box 29348
Kampala, Uganda

please, please, please send me stuff. if you want to send a postcard, put it in an envelope otherwise it probably won't reach me.

okay, my dad needs to use the computer, so farewell my dear sweet friends, and i will see see you in a couple of years (and don't any of you go getting married while i'm on the other side of the world).

No comments: