Thursday, May 24, 2007

all kinds of time...

okay, so i've finally got a bit of time on a computer, so i can talk about whatever i wish to share.

this does not mean that i have anything important, or of substance to share, so please, keep your expectations low.

i've added a bunch of new links to the right hand side of the page, so please check them out.

also, i've noticed that despite the fact that i'm getting a lot of hits on my page, i'm hardly getting any comments. come on now folks. i'm lonely.

there's a strange phenomenon that occurs with people here from the states. it's called uganglish. we take on this wierd ugandish sounding english accent for no real reason whatsoever, probably because we think it sounds like what everyone else is saying. i think i tend to talk like whoever i am talking to regardless, so i think that may carry over to other people as well. so, when you come to visit me, don't be surprised when i talk all funny around ugandans.

my ateso is getting better, but i'm not really learning much new stuff. i'm just getting better at using what i already know. i'm looking for a tutor right now, so hopefully that'll take care of itself soon enough.

my bats have been eradicated. i haven't been back to my house since the carnage, so we'll see what kind of hideous smell their dead bodies may have brought upon my residence since then. it's possible that i won't be sleeping at home for a few days. the unofficial final count was somewhere around sixty.

i'm at a conference in soroti right now, and it'll be over shortly. luckily, after many days of trying, the internet is finally up here, and i can puruse useless information on imdb and wikipedia at a liesurely pace. ah, the joy of knowing derek lee's batting average...

the bike ride took a lot more out of me than i expected. i'm going to have to start training a bit more heavily before i start doing these long trips. i'm only now feeling 100% again. i don't think the diet here is all too condusive to major physical activity. still, i think i'll be able to make longer trips once i start putting some effort into preparing for them.

i've lost some weight. i'll wait until the number gets a bit more impressive before saying how much, but it isn't too hard to lose weight when some evenings you're just not in the mood to spend two hours cooking by headlamp in order to eat an omelette.

champions league final last night went pretty well, but watching soccer really just makes me want to play. i'm finally going to inflate my ball when i get back to site, and begin training for the 2014 world cup.

i really need to spend some money on cooking materials. my camping mess kit is pretty limited. at the same time, i'd rather spend my money on daytrips to mbale, so it's going to be a tough call. i can always just buy rolexes...

the people in my village are still far too interested in me. it's a wierd task to try and make myself as mundane as possible, but i think i can do it.

i hope i'm doing a pretty good job of keeping everyone updated with what's going on over here, but my resources are kind of limited, so sorry if i'm not sending out enough e-mails. i send out what i can whenever i get a chance.

okay, i'm starving. time to go forage for food. thanks to everyone who has e-mailed me, sent me letters, and most of all, sent me packages.

godspeed

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I bet that’s the most bats destroyed since Bo Jackson retired from MLB. I figure they’ve got puns there in Uganda, but I wasn’t sure if they had really good ones. (Bee Tee Doubledub, I had it as “the MLB” at first, but changed it since that wouldn’t sound right if I were to have spelled it out...sort of like RBI or RBIs I guess...the MLB seems to have a stronghold on ambiguous abreves.) I sympathize with your wish list, though I’m pretty sure I offered you “The Floating Opera” at some point. Sucker. It’s also quietly disquieting in a pleasantly soft way that out in the middle of nowhere, with nothing to eat but plantains and 3 score of mini-vampires who’ve passed on to that great neck in the sky (seriously, Rish, I mean I had a pretty inconsiderate roomie once, but he always made his BMs in the BR) you still only really want cds. I’ll work on it. I just got into work as I write this and was listening to (natch) “Release the Stars” for the fifth time since last week. It has its faults but I still had to make a deal with myself not to listen to it on repeat. I’ll send you a large portion of those cds with my next letter, which should be going out pretty soon. My editor is breathing down my neck right now...not literally, since that would be creepy and totally work-place inappropriate...and not figuratively since I just made it up.

That’s meta-fiction for you.

How Barthian!

Sucker!

Zach

Unknown said...

Rishi;
I am happpy that your bat problem is resolved and hope to your satisfaction. we will send you another carepackage this week -mainly spices..to liven up your menu..

bethanyzylstra said...

i find i still use 'uganglish' even when speaking to europeans with funny accents; it is like a switch that automatically turns on whenever a different english accent comes at me. 'eh' and 'eesh' and 'somehow' will start to settle into the vocabulary too... and maybe some 'yes please'. :)

i like your to the point writing on the peace corp experience in uganda. you pack a punch. i hope your stay in teso-land goes well.

aelama noy (sp???).

an RPCV who used to live in Iganga.